11.07.2007

Cambridge City Council Election Results

Via the Cambridge Civic Journal, here's the breakdown of yesterday's city council elections. And here's a link to the Wiki entry for the STV system that we use here in Cambridge.

I actually learned a couple more about the voting system this year than I have in the past, which makes me love Cambridge that much more. First, I learned that I should damned well fill my ballot out past #3 (especially if I'm voting for an underdog or a ne'er-do-well). There were almost enough exhausted ballots (that is, there were no viable choices left on them after the winnowing) to elect exhausted as a council member. Second, don't protest vote people. For example, say someone should mark Craig Kelley as #16 because said person wished to indicate that they were the last possible person they would want on council. Well, it's semi-possible that through the allocation process, said person could end up having their vote apportioned for Craig Kelley in the end. Unlikely, sure, but still possible if you vote the underdog/crazy people ticket.

No comments: