1.17.2008

A Disposal Solution

Certain acquaintances who shall remain nameless have requested that in the event of their demise they would like to have their remains tossed into the woods for nature to do with as it wills. I have on multiple occasions questioned the legality of doing that, but now I think I might have a compromise: The Body Farm

The students knelt alongside the slumped form, seemingly untroubled by the acrid, syrupy tang of human decay which hung in the air. They remarked on the amount of decomposition that had become evident since their last visit, such as the sloughed skin and distended midsection. The insects which feasted upon the decommissioned man were of specific interest, prompting a number of photographs and note-jottings. After surveying the scene to their satisfaction, the students strolled across the glade to examine a considerably more decayed corpse in the trunk of an abandoned car. Their lack of alarm wasn't altogether surprising, for they were part of the organization responsible for dumping these corpses– along with dozens more– throughout the otherwise serene forest. They were forensic anthropology students from the University of Tennessee.

4 comments:

Brenda Pike said...

I think my obsession is more about being the fertilizer for growing things. So I guess having me cremated and then sprinkled on a garden is a good compromise, too.

humanrocketjlb said...

Oh, come on! Give your body to science! I do wonder if you could specify what scenario you would want your body arranged in. Like in a car trunk or in a suitcase. I think I'd like the suitcase myself.

LibraryHungry said...

Ew. Ew ew ew.

Oh, have you heard of the book "Stiff"? It's about all the possible things that might happen to your body postmortem in America. I've heard fabulous things, but I don't think I'm up to reading it yet.

I personally would like to donate my organs and have a good carpenter make me a cheap, plain pine box. Nothing tacky and nothing expensive.

humanrocketjlb said...

I've probably mentioned it to you before, but I want to be cremated and then mixed in with fireworks that'll get shot off on my birthday. A bit like Hunter S. Thompson but prettier.