1.17.2008

Unenforced Optimism

I'm still going through my backlog of interesting articles, and I read a couple of unrelated-but-not articles today.

The first is an article on Japan's manga industry and, in particular, the dojinshii [sic] markets, a thriving completely-illegal-but-tolerated public marketplace for the sale of fan fiction. The manga industry is tolerating the infringement of its copyrights both for market research and talent spotting purposes.

The second is an article about unenforced laws in the U.S. and both why and how they fell out of enforcement.

The confluence of the two articles is probably pretty predictable based on the sources that I pull from, but it makes me think that, despite the moral bickering that we get up to in this country, everything's going to be OK in the end. I can wish that people would have a little more perspective in the here and now but will settle for being right in the long run. I am the king of complacency.

No comments: